Henry Harvey Windows

As well as glass by Harry Stammers, the church also contains four examples of Harry Harvey's work. There are two panels in the St Paul's Chapel, showing St Paul's conversion, a representation of St Cecilia in thanksgiving for a former organist and a Baptism window now in the Lady Chapel.


Harry Harvey

was born on November 22 1922 in Birmingham, and attended Moseley Junior School of Arts and Crafts.
As a 15 year-old, his flair for draughtsmanship won him an apprenticeship in a stained glass studio with Pearce & Cutler, where he learnt the basics of the trade.


He served as a signalman with the Royal Navy during the war on the destroyer Windsor. After the conflict ended, having married and moved to Devon, he began work at Whippells of Exeter before moving to York in 1947 at the invitation of a former designer at Whippells, Harry Stammers, who had been invited by Dean Milner-White to revive the York School of Glass Painting.

Harvey trained with Harry Stammers in York, before opening his own studio in 1956.

The development of Harvey’s early career in the 1960s was assisted by the patronage of the eminent architect George Pace, widely regarded as the leading ecclesiastical architect in Britain until his death in 1975. Harry Harvey died on 29th January 2011. 

Harvey's best known work is probably that carried out for the Guildhall in York, but he also made windows for over seventy churches in Yorkshire alone.

He was elected a Fellow of the British Society of Master Glass Painters in 1962

Comments